24 April 2008

mexican wedding cupcakes •




It was hard to go forward from my last post. Everyone’s comments were so kind, and I liked seeing my father everytime I pulled up my blog. But I could hear him in my head, “You’re starting to bug me, kid, get a move on!”.

I had several pineapple flowers left over from my Jousting entry, Mango Sherbet with Cardamom Cookie Cups. The little darlings devoured the sherbet and cookie cups, but left the dried fruit behind. Hmmmm. They were too pretty to let languish in their container so I whipped up these cupcakes. I adapted a recipe from The Creekside, a community cookbook. The cupcakes are dense, but moist, more on the line of carrot cake. I am not sure about other households with children, but in my home anything that has cream cheese frosting gets eaten. (We’ll see about the fruit garnish). The downside to these tasty cupcakes is that you have to keep them refrigerated. The upside is that they do not last long!

Mexican Wedding Cupcakes •

1 cup light brown sugar
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained well
1 cup wet okara (this is referring to the okara straight from your machine)
1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl mix the brown sugar, pineapple and okara well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until incorporated. Line muffin tins with paper liners and fill 2/3 full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly and move the cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with Dried Pineapple Flowers right before serving (do not refrigerate flowers). Keep cupcakes refrigerated.

Cream Cheese Frosting •

4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
4 ounces butter (softened)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese well. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat until smooth.


I also wanted to post the original recipe (no okara) for those who might want to try baking the cake. It looks beautiful garnished on top with overlapped Pineapple Flowers. 

Mexican Wedding Cake •

1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups white unbleached flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese Frosting •

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8 ounce) stick of butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

Mix cake ingredients together; pour into 2 greased 9-inch round layer cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let cool in pans. Mix frosting ingredients together; spread between layers and on top. Keep refrigerated.

16 comments:

diva@theSugarBar said...

very pretty. the garnish is divine.

Brilynn said...

Love the pineapple flowers, those look great!

Ben said...

They look so pretty and delicious. Yum yum

Grace said...

yep, items topped with cream cheese frosting (carrot cake, red velvet cake, random pieces of stale bread, fingertips...) don't last very long around here either. :)

toontz said...

Diva and Brilynn-
Thank you for your compliments. I hope you try making the flowers sometime, they are very easy.

Ben-
Thank you. Being from Mexico, I am wondering if this is really an authentic cake recipe?

Grace-
Fingertips...really? OUCH!!

White On Rice Couple said...

Those pineapples flowers are beautiful! I love this unique garnish on top of these beautiful cupcakes! If you sold them, I would definitely buy a dozen! :)

Pixie said...

These look so beautiful and sound wonderful too. :)

toontz said...

worc-
Thank you! But I couldn’t charge you for something that is ridiculously easy to make!

toontz said...

Thanks, Pixie!

Elle said...

Oh, those are gorgeous! Bet they're delicious, too...

Hillary said...

Those flowers are so pretty on top of the cupcakes! I never knew those types of flowers existed...thanks!

Lidian said...

Those cupcakes look divinely delicious!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I can't believe you are the one that made those gorgeous Mexican Wedding Cupcakes I saw on Tastespotting...I love them! The not only look beautiful, but I bet they taste just as good!

toontz said...

Elle, Hillary, Lidian-
Thank you!

My Sweet and Saucy-
You are most welcome! Thank you for your visit to my blog!

Rachelle said...

I love that pineapple flower! I also really liked your joust entry this month, mmmm. Good luck with that!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

I have never seen a cupcake this rustic and this beautiful......